In addition to the roles and responsibilities expected of all Well Crafted team members, the Assistant Director of Food will take a leadership role as part of the “Technical Team.” This role supports the Director of Food, leads food preparation on weekends, and is responsible for ensuring ingredient and food preparation for private catering events.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Opens the kitchen properly and follows all checklists for kitchen stations.
- Food Preparation
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Assist in the production tasks based upon the production prep list posted by the Director of Food
- Specializes in preparing appetizers and other ingredients for catered events
- Ingredient management
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period
- Notify when ingredients are low or out
- Seek creative solutions to minimize food waste and solve ingredient shortages
- Ensure sufficient quantities are prepared (use and update Product Yield doc)
- In coordination with Director of Food, allocate all prepared ingredients for private events and redistribute ingredients after private events
- Team leadership
- Write and lead team in completing prep lists based on Saturdays & Sundays
- Ensure consistency and quality and communicates changes with the team
- As part of the “Technical Team”
- Contribute ideas, opinions and suggestions to improve the kitchen environment and overall menu
- Be a voice of calm and confidence in high pressure situations and demonstrate leadership through adept problem solving
- Serve as a role model and hands-on coach for team members
- Health and safety
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area
- Ensure food safety protocols are followed in preparation of food (Time & temp controls, Proper labeling, Cross contamination, Discard/freeze ingredients as needed)
Key Skills & Requirements:
- A minimum of 6 months of experience in kitchen preparation and cooking or a similar capacity.
- Organized and able to think a few steps ahead and communicate that information with the team
- Creative problem-solving and flexibility
- Proactive communication with owners and team
- Time management skills and ability to multitask
- Attention to detail and dedication to quality and food safety
- Interest and understanding of local seasonal food
- ServSafe certification preferred
- Experience with catering food preparation preferred
- Able to lift 50 pounds and stand for duration of shift
Work Schedule & Environment:
- Must be able to work Wed- Sun 8:30am-3:30pm (35 hours per week)
- Fast paced, kitchen environment located within a Brewery
Compensation & Benefits
- Guaranteed $19/hour combined minimum
- $14/hour + tips (typically ranges in an additional $5-10/hour)
- Paid Time Off
- Team Meals
- Paid Training
- Annual bonus & wage adjustments each year
- Union Collective Discounts (including 50% off membership at Movement – formerly known as Earth Treks; as well as 10-40% discount at Vent Coffee Roasters, Baltimore Spirits Company, The Charmery, UNION Craft Brewing, etc.)
Things that some would call perks, but we call them the norm:
- Respectful/Positive work environment
- Schedule known at least 2 weeks in advance
- Team fun events & Opportunities to connect to the local food community (farm tours, etc.)
To apply, please fill out the form below and attach a resume. Qualified candidates will be contacted for in-person interviews.
Given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, it is essential that team members are willing to minimize their risk of exposure both on and off of the job. Food service is essential work and we expect everyone on the team to take each other’s health and the safety of our food system seriously.
We encourage ANYONE, no matter your race, gender, age, or religious beliefs, to apply knowing that we are committed to creating an enjoyable, safe working environment, and a better Baltimore. We will review applications as soon as we receive them.